[Zope3-dev] Re: Reflections on the Zope 2 to Zope 3 transition

Joachim Werner joe at iuveno.de
Sat Apr 24 21:56:41 EDT 2004

Hi!

> 2.7 definitely took too long which is not so much ZC's fault.

I'm not sure what's going wrong with my projects, but apart from the
"SessionGeddon" a couple of years ago (Session API changing between beta and
final without anybody telling us) switching to a new Zope version hasn't
really caused me too much headache.

> > Before I get into the main topic of my response, I'll note that I'm
> > good bit more optimistic about backward compatability than you are.

> Good for you. I'll rather stay pessimistic and be positively surprised
> in the end, maybe.

I am quite positive that it will be easy to port Zope2 content objects to
Zope3 systems without too much effort. I am also quite sure that porting the
actual code will be a bit harder. But OTOH either you don't like the old code
and want to rewrite it anyway or you can just keep it and be happy using Zope
2 for another couple of years ... (so this is no real issue for me either).

> > 2. I decided not to think much about the transition until Zope 3 has
> > gotten farther along.

> I guess this was the main thing I do not feel comfortable with. I'm not
> saying you decided wrong. I'm just wondering whether the current
> situation could have been avoided.

Hard to say. I've already said before what I think we'd have needed: A
concrete example for what Zope 3 should be the toolkit for. Most really good
frameworks are good because there is a real-life application that uses the
framework. Take Qt. Without KDE there would not be half as many users of Qt,
and getting the rough parts fixed would have taken much longer than with KDE
being the main driver. OTOH Qt is a perfect example of a good architecture to
start with. So maybe the "KDE" for Zope 3 is still ahead ...

Cheers

Joachim

Wittelsbacherstr. 23b
90475 Nürnberg