[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/zope - version.txt:NONE

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Fri Apr 30 10:41:19 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 09:27 pm, Stephan Richter wrote:
 > The code is smart enough not to break, but here is the file that needs
 > updating:
 > src/zope/app/applicationcontrol/zopeversion.py

Having looked through this code now, I'm still not convinced it's wrong to
remove src/zope/version.txt.  If anything, I'm more convinced that it's
right.

Adding the version.txt file *somewhere* may be necessary, but I'd expect that
to happen as part of a release process; the information could reasonably be
installed into the appropriate package in the software home.  I don't think
it belongs under revision control or in a checkout.

I'm not happy with the tests for the ZopeVersion object; the various
combinations of files it can look at should all be tested.  Perhaps the
ZopeVersion object should take a path to look at, so the tests can provide it
with appropriate data instead of re-implementing the algorithm to make sure
it comes back with the right result for only the current environment.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation