[Zope3-dev] z.a.pagetemplate.engine and ITraverser

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 10:04:07 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:19:26 -0300, Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at awkly.org> wrote:
> I've just noticed that z.a.pagetemplate.engine is using the Traverser
> adapter by calling the class directly, instead of using an ITraverser
> adapter.

Just following up here since our IRC discussion isn't going to be
obvious from someone just reading the list.

Sidnei, Steve Alexander, and me discussed this over on #zope3-dev and
decided that before we make any changes, we need to clarify the
difference between traversal of the URL path obtained from the request
and internal traversal of the object graph.  Though similar, these are
different things and will need to be treated a little differently in
some cases.

I don't remember the specific names we came up with, but roughly
IURLTraversable would be the traversable for URL paths, and
IObjectTraversable would be for object graph traversal.  This would
allow both forms of traversal to be obtainable via adaptation and
allow the most flexibility for site developers who may want to make
things look very different from how they're stored.

Sidnei, Steve, please correct me or clarify as needed; appearantly the
IRC logs are lacking somewhat.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation