[Zope3-dev] Re: Developers Book

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 15 13:08:40 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 12:50:53PM -0700, Vinj Vinj wrote:
| I'm in the process of installing zope and building a
| demo application so have patience with me. Following
| the installation instructions in cookbook:
|
| 1. reading the instructions it was not clear where I
| would zoperun on windows.

From/in the instance home directory.

| I did a search on the
| Python23 directory and found that there were tow
| copies one in skel and one in zopeskel.
| Does it make sense to have these in the root python23 directory?
| What is the difference between skel and zopeskel.

I don't have a "skel" directory related to zope or python on my
system.

| 2. A lot of the files had an extra .in added to them
| which I had to remove. For instance runzope was
| runzope.in

The .in is for "input".  They are templates that the build process
will fill in the particulars when you run 'bin/mkzopeinstance'.  The
zopeskel directory is similar to the /etc/skel directory on UNIX
systems -- it contains the files that will be present in a new
instance home directory.

| 3. After running runzope I get the following error:
| C:\Python23\skel\bin>runzope
| Error: no values for section type 'accesslog'; 1
| required
| For help, use C:\Python23\skel\bin\runzope.py -h

Your zope.conf file is older than the zope you are trying to run.
Add the following to your zope.conf :
    <accesslog>
      # This sets up logging to both a file (access.log) and to standard
      # output (STDOUT).  The "path" setting can be a relative or absolute
      # filesystem path or the tokens STDOUT or STDERR.

      <logfile>
        path $LOGDIR/access.log
      </logfile>

      #<logfile>
      #  path STDOUT
      #</logfile>
    </accesslog>

| 4. I tried to do a svn on the wiki project but got the
| following error:
| C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\zope\app>svn co
| svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/branches/ZopeX3-3.0/src/zope/app/wiki
| wiki
| svn: URL
| 'svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/branches/ZopeX3-3.0/src/zope/app/wiki'
| doesn't exist

The wiki doesn't exist there anymore.  A while ago it was moved from
src/zope/app/wiki to src/zwiki.

Use the command
    svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/trunk/src/zwiki
instead.

Note that although the directory exists underneath 'branches' in
subversion, zwiki is not a part of version 3.0.0.

| 5. I then added the steps listed in installing from
| svn (even though I sintalled the binary version):
|
|   <principal
|     id="zope.userid" title="User Name Title"
|     login="vinjvinj" password="vinjvinj"
|     />
|
|   <grant role="zope.Manager" principal="zope.userid"
| />
|   <grant role="zope.Manager" principal="zope.anybody"
| />

| that did not fix the errors in 3.

Naturally :-).  The error in #3 refers to a log type in zope.conf, not to
configured principals.

| 6. I could not find makezope anywhere under the
| python23 direcotry.

I don't know what 'makezope' is supposed to be.  I don't have any such
file on my system.  (my system has a checkout of the trunk, X3.0
branch, and an install of 3.0.0-b2 and 3.0.0-b3)

How did you install zope on your system?
I have had no problems with downloading the tarball, unpacking it,
then running './configure --prefix=/path/where/I/want/it && make &&
make install'.  However, I do not have MS Windows.  Maybe some of the
information here will help you nonetheless.

HTH,
-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org