[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: tal:on-error is a bare except...

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Sun Aug 22 20:58:21 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>
>> Not done for Z3 as this seems to not be a good idea there according to
>> the gurus.
>

> How so?
>
>> And supposedly ZODB 3.3 can cope with swallowed
>> ConflictErrors
>

> Really?! Cool, I think, but I find this hard to believe.
> Any anyone enlighten me? Tim?

I don't believe the bare except is *ever* good form in
production-quality code.  *No* application-level code has enough zen to
swallow some kinds of exceptions, which is why the Java folks have a
separate RuntimeError hierarchy.

The fact that newer ZODB's *appear* to prevent later commits does not
exculpate the use of the bare except in 'tal:on-error' (emphasis added
to indicate a non-trivial amount of suspicion against the code paths in
question;  we have claimed to have solved that problem before).

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com