[Zope3-dev] Proposed gradual terminolgy change: "Tools" rather than "Utilities"

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Aug 29 11:29:04 EDT 2004

A trend over the last year has been a simplification of Zope 3's component
argitecture. This, of course, is a good thing.

Part of this trend is the elimination or great reduction in importance
of services.  We have plans to eliminate the presentation service
(combining it with the adapter service) and the browser-menu service
(reimplementing browser menus using adapters).  We plan to convert
remaining services except the adapter, utility, and service services
to utilities.  Perhaps the service, adapter, and utility services will
simply merge into a single component-management facility.

A while ago, we combined utilities and services under the broader
concept of tools.  This was, in part to leverage the familiarity
of the term from the CMF.  It's also a shorter term.  Over the next
few months, I'd like to gradually replace the term "utility" with
"tool".

Are there any objections to this?

BTW a possible definition of this is:

   meta-content component used to provide application behavior or
   manage meta data.  I say "meta content" because:

   - They are "meta" in that they manage provide information that
     makes up the application, rather than data that is the subject
     of the application.

   - They are "content" because they usually manage information,
     are usually persistent (in some sense, as opposed to adapters
     which are usually transient), and are usually implemented in
     the same way as content components