[Zope3-dev] zope.app.uniqueid question

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Aug 31 12:15:00 EDT 2004

Hi there,

I'm browsing through zope.app.uniqueid in an attempt to see whether it
does what I want.

What I'd like is a unique id facility which can track an object with a
unique id even if it moves to a different container or gets renamed. So,
it is always possible to retrieve an object even after people cut and
paste it elsewhere. Is zope.app.uniqueid guaranteed to do this? At first
I thought it isn't, but now I'm not sure anymore what it does. It only
tracks ObjectAdded events, which are only sent if a new object is added
(or at least an object with no parent).

Anyway, my hidden goal is to backport this to Zope 2 as part of Five,
but that seems tricky, as the uniqueid utility stores objects directly
which it then returns, while in Zope 2 these objects would need to be
returned in their proper acquisition context, lacking __parent__ links
and the like..

Regards,

Martijn