[Zope3-dev] Re: One possibility for 1.0

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Feb 8 15:45:02 EST 2004

Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 07 February 2004 18:24, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> One possibility is to say that 1.0 (perhaps a different designation
>>> would be better) is really for those people who are already delivering
>>> Zope 3 apps.  It emphasizes the things that work pretty well now,
>>> meaning core services and file-system-based developmen
>>

>> Yes, I agree with that based on your previous message. I can always
>> make a experimental TTW-enabled release, like "1.0+TTW" for people who
>> want to try it and give feedback. Zope 3 1.0 will get a lot of
>> attention, and I would love to use some of this momentum to get TTW
>> development feedback. On the other hand I do not want to make the main
>> release messy, late and unstable, so that people will look at it and
>> say: What the hell is this?
>>

> Would it make sense to remove the TTW-management-interface from the
> 'core' and into a product ? Could this product be used as an example of
> how to write management products for zope3 ?

This thread was originally about the TTW development facilities, not
TTW management.  We will certainly include the TTW management facilities
in the first release.

At this point, I'm mainly concerned about which features should be
priorities for finishing for the first release.  I also want to
set expectations for the first release, in terms if who it's for and how
we expect people to use it.

A different question is how this is all going to be packaged.
I'm still thinking about that.

It will be possible to replace pretty much anything. It will certainly
be possible to replace the management UI. While I agree with the
benefit of organizing things to make this more obvious, I don't
think I particularly want to take the time to do this now.