[Zope3-dev] Last chance to mess with the source layout of Zope 3

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Feb 8 18:00:11 EST 2004

In preparation for the first release, we are embarking on a
cleanup of the source layout. (See the threads on boving things
out of zope.app.)  It is clear that this is going to be a large effort.
It will probably be impractical to do this again after the first
production release.

Given that, I'd like to put the layout strategy on the table.

The last time we did a major reorganization, we separated the presentation
and interface code from the application code.  This was it make it
easier for user-interface developers to contribute.  I know of one person
whih actually liked the separation of presentation and interfaces from
application code. AFAICT, it's been wildly unpopular for everyone else.
I'm not sure that the people it was done for have even been all that involved.
A few people have been working on UI, but I don't think they consider themselves
UI folk and I bet they don't like the separation.

In a separate note, I suggested a much flatter layout.  I suggested
getting rid of zope.app.browser (and the like) and zope.app.interafces.
I suggested that zope.app have top-level packages in it that are pretty
self-contained with their own interfaces.py and browser.py (and etc.).
A variation on this would be to provide separate UI packages
(e.g, zope.app.folder and zope.app.folderweb).

Thoughts?