[Zope3-dev] Re: Namegeddon2

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Feb 8 20:02:28 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Ok. Once we have it figured out on the wiki page, I can adjust the
>> branch slowly but surely, so it'll be ready when the ZODB3 merge is to
>> be done.
>
> Kapil wrote a script for the first namegeddon that automated most of the
> moving.  It left enough undone, however, that it might be worth trying to
> improve it.  We tried to do the first namegeddon too quickly and
> ended up doing more work that we should have.  We should do a few dry runs
> and try to improve the script.

It'd be great to end up with a somewhat generic script we can use
whenever we "break" things like this... I could imagine that, maybe on a
smaller scale, that we will still want to do that once Zope3 is out.
It'll be good to know that we have a good conversion script.

>> I guess you'll do the final merging then. When do you expect
>> that to happen, so I know the timeframe?
>
> Well, all the Zope 3 tests pass with ZODB 3.3. Steve is testing
> the conversion script.  I think that that branch will be ready to
> merge next week.

Great to hear that.

> I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.
>
> Some issues:
>
> - The ZODB conversion will require running a database conversion
>   script.
>
> - namegeddon2 will require running a database conversion script.
>
>   We may want to combine the two, unless we don't. ;)
>   Perhaps it's better to keep them separate.

I think it is. Let's take one step at a time. Also, namegeddon2 (btw, I
think it's not a *name*geddon, rather a packagegeddon) should probably
be broken up into steps. Moving out the content is the first one. Others
could follow.

Philipp