[Zope3-dev] Re: Issue 124 in the collector.

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Feb 9 10:19:13 EST 2004

Nicolas Évrard wrote:
> * Tres Seaver  [15:57 09/02/04 CET]:
>

>>> Indeed, that's what I've done on my system. But I think this issue
>>> should be adressed in the zope3 starting script.
>>

>> It can't be -- the Python interpreter *won't allow* that value to be
>> set except in sitecustomize.py.  See this bit (from Lib/site.py in
>> your Python distribution):

(oops, I forgot to CC the list last time).

> Ok. I though this was a debian specificity.
> Does this mean that zope3 on a default python install will always have
> this issue ? Or will there be some magic involved I cannot see yet ?

Perhaps we should be lobbying to have Python add a command-line
parameter for specifying the default encoding?  /me checks:

  $ /opt/zc/bin/python -h
  -S     : don't imply 'import site' on initialization

So, one could run python with -S, and then invoke
'sys.setdefaultencoding("latin-1")' later during Zope startup.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com