[Zope3-dev] Re: Separate presentation packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Feb 16 07:29:13 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> So, I feel rather strongly that we should have packages like:
>>>
>>> folder
>>> folder_browser
>>> file
>>> file_browser
>>
>> I thought people already said in another thread that they didn't like
>> this. :)
>
> Some people did, but I think we need more discussion.

Yes, I would like to hear what other people have to say about this. I
admittedly belong to those who don't like the underscore solution, but I
also realize that my idea is just thinking-out-loud (which should still
be discussed, IMO). There must be other people with better ideas, I hope.

>> Python already provides a namespacing mechanism, involving the dot
>> notation
>> (foo.browser). You're inventing your own prefix based namespace
>> mechanism here. Prefix based namespace mechanisms aren't necessary in
>> Python and
>> seeing one is a bad code smell.
>
> True, but then too much hierarchy is considered unpythonic. <shrug>

I consider too much hierarchy very Prussian :). IOW I don't think it's
pythonic nor unpythonic. It's a pattern you choose or not.

Philipp