[Zope3-dev] Re: Separate presentation packages

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 17 04:34:35 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>> and you agreed:
>>
>>> We need to reduce navigation, for the reason I've stated above: not
>>> to confuse and scare away people that are not familiar with that scheme.
>

> Yes. All I'm saying is that we need to make it extemely easy to
> understand and even easier to grok the package hierarchy.

Yes, but I think it's even more important to make it easier to use.
Most people can figure out the current scheme, but it's still very painful.
You end up looking in three places for things, or, at least having
to work in three places.

These is especially painful for people who don't use emacs. :)
I just spent a week with a room full of vi users doing Zope 3
coding.  They spend way too much time cd-ing,

>> But this moves things far apart.  Now the packages relared to foo
>> are in different trees.
>

> I realize that it is less convenient for immediatedly practical
> navigation. It think it'll be easier to understand, though.

It's not just navigation. It's also visual searching and context
switching.  I didn't realize how much this bugged me until we
began talking about getting rid of it. :)

>> I think foo-related-ness is at least as important
>> as browser relatedness.
>

> Too bad their two different kinds of relatednesses. We would really need
> three-dimensional directory trees.

:) This is an inherient limitation of hierarchies.

Perhaps this is why Guido likes to limit use of hierarchies.