[Zope3-dev] More thoughts on packaging

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue Feb 17 10:31:44 EST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> The problem with putting everything in a setup.py is that it's not
> reusable.  Modularity is what's needed for large systems like Zope and
> PEAK.  For example, right now I bundle PyProtocols with the PEAK
> distribution.  This means that I have to maintain two setup.py files
> that cover some of the same stuff: one for the independent PyProtocols,
> and one for PEAK that contains PyProtocols setup info.  That's not too
> big a deal right now, but mainly what it does is discourage me from
> making other parts of PEAK separately distributable, because all the
> other parts are much harder to break out, and the dependencies between
> the parts change over time.

Does there need to be some sort of additional distutils magic that, say,
walks through the __main__ module, looking for things that "look like"
setup declarations? That way, in your top level setup.py, you'd simply
say something like

from peak_setup import setup as PeakSetup
from frobozz_setup import setup as FrobozzSetup

... or something like that.

The current 'setup()' call might instead be replaced with creation of
instances of a DistutilsSetupClass, or something.

Anthony