[Zope3-dev] Improving distutils (was Re: Separate presentation packages (repost))

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 19 13:19:09 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Another repost...
>>
>> Stephan Richter wrote:
>>

>>> I think we should not worry about distutils limitations at this point.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> I know Jim wants to flush out some issues here, but this topic warrants
>> its own list.
>>
>> Seriously, this is a hard, hard topic. I'm surprised there's this much
>> energy being spent on improving distutils when Zope X3 1.0 on the table.
>>

> I agree, though I also would like to point out that this is *exactly*
> why distutils is not improving very quickly. Everybody is obviously far
> more motivated to improve their own projects than worried about
> improving distutils.

Which is why we are going to try to improve distutils. :)

I get the impression that, aside from urgency, people are generally
pretty happy with the goals and vision given in:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Zope3PackagingProposal

So the main goal of the "Packaging pre-proposal"
discussion has been achieved. :)

We (Fred :) are going to spend some time implementing at least enough
to:

   - Flexibly create and install our own distributions

   - Build CVS checkouts, avoiding complex monolithic setup scripts

   - Create a PEP (or PEPs) to enhance distutils to do what we need

Further technical discussions will eventually move to Python's distutils
development mailing list.