[Zope3-dev] Change focus of sprints

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Feb 19 09:19:21 EST 2004

I'd like to change the focus of sprints a bit.  In the past,
sprints were used as a way to get people familiar with Zope 3.
Most people who came to sprints were Zope 3 newbies. As a result,
they were often not really prepared to do very substantive work.
Often people found sprints frustrating because the work was over their
heads.  Or, we had to come up with tasks that people could do based
solely on what they learned in the tutorial.  It's becoming harder
and harder to come up with tasks like that that actually help
the project.  The tutorial prepares people do do application
development for Zope 3, which is good. In the long run, that's the
kind of development most people will do.  Zope 3 itself, however,
needs some people to be able to contribute at a deeper level.

Most of the tasks on the road map for X3.0 are not application tasks.
Most of them are more like system tasks (core tasks)?  I think
X3.1 (or even 2.9) will have many deep (system/core) tasks as well.

The tutorial is now hand's on. It provides an opportunity to gain
experience building Zope 3 applications in a sprint-like setting,
with pair programming and unit tests.  I think we should use the
tutorial as the primary mechanism for letting people just learn
about Zope 3 development. An advantage of using the tutorial for
this is that participants don't need to be Zope contributors.

BTW, I continue to evolve the tutorial.  I've recently combined the
separate tutorial chapters and then split the steps up into separate
files. I've also added notes to the slides, to make them a bit more
self sufficient.  It may still not be possible for some or many people
to use the slides by themselves. <shrug>  New pdfs for the tutorial
can be found at:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ProgrammerTutorial

I'm having problems with Open Office that are preventing me from
checking in updates sources. Sigh.

So, for sprints, I'd like to shift the focus to "system" or "core"
development, at least for the sprints that I lead.  I'd like to
host some sprints that tackle deeper projects and that are attended
only by Zope 3 (or advanced Zope 2) development veterans.  These sprints
will *not* include tutorial presentations.