[Zope3-dev] Re: More thoughts on packaging

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Feb 20 04:54:08 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> I find more and more people who are increasingly sceptical of ZCML,
> mostly because it's XML. They would really prefer a simpler style.

I don't think this is increasing; people have been railing against the
evil XML-ish ZCML from the start.

> ZConfig is very popular among them. I personally think using an
> XML-variant can have its advantages when it comes to parsing,
> validation, editing (-> relaxNG schema, etc.), transforming etc. But
> simplicity counts, too... "Simple is better than complex".

As long as the format is regular it is possible to write a tool to
convert to XML and back. Using XML natively has its benefits as you
don't have to write these tools, and people don't have to learn new
syntax rules.

Those people who don't like ZCML because it's too verbose can design
their own better 'compact' syntax and convert to ZCML from that. I'd be
very curious to see those efforts and may even participate. Those who
don't like ZCML as it's not Python..well, they'll have to change their
minds. :)

Regards,

Martijn