[Zope3-dev] Re: More thoughts on packaging

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Fri Feb 20 10:10:00 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Those people who don't like ZCML because it's too verbose can design
> their own better 'compact' syntax and convert to ZCML from that. I'd be
> very curious to see those efforts and may even participate. Those who
> don't like ZCML as it's not Python..well, they'll have to change their
> minds. :)

I'll note that our configuration strategy for Zope 2 has always been to
configure things through the web.  This mode of operation is highly
effective for complex things.  A GUI prompts for information, while a
written language requires some level of fluency to be effective.

If Zope 3 acquires a good GUI for creating ZCML, the syntax of ZCML won't
matter as much.  XML behind the GUI would actually be an asset, since XML
is regular enough for a GUI to change it.  Therefore, if we intend to
include a ZCML GUI in Zope 3, I'll be happier with the direction Zope 3 is
heading.

Shane