[Zope3-dev] ZCML

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Feb 20 16:57:05 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I just want to point out that any discussion of switching from
> ZCML is pointless.  We aren't moving away from it any time soon,
> if ever.
>
> If anyone is serious about championing something else, they
> need to create a working protype of Zope 3 that uses
> the alternative syntax.  As Stephan pointed out, the ZCML
> architecture should make it pretty easy to do an alternative
> syntax.

An easy alternative for the prototype would be to simply generate ZCML
from whatever language is designed. Has a bunch of benefits; for
instance you could check that whatever you generate complies with the
ZCML Relax NG schema (presuming that is kept up to date :).

Note that I'm not serious about championing something else at this point
in time. I think improvements are possible but a lot of thinking and
designing will need to take place before that. And ZCML works pretty
well, and is easy to evolve away from if someone comes up with something
better.

Regards,

Martijn