[Zope3-dev] Re: Code cleanup day

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Feb 25 12:56:08 EST 2004

Marius Gedminas wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:11:09PM +0100, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>

>>5. Make the commonly long list of imports more scrutable.
>>

>Also trim imports that are not needed.  I ran a homebrew dependency checker
>tool (hi, Martijn, Stephan ;-) on Zope 3 and it reported over 700 unused
>imports.  Some of those are false positives, e.g. things that are imported into
>__init__.py for API reasons, but other imports can (and should) be safely
>removed.

I can confirm this; the Zope3 codebase picked up tons of unused imports
since the last cleanup round by Philipp.

My importchecker only picks up 521 unused imports. This includes
__init__.py API related false positives.

I think importchecker is better at avoiding false positives than your
homegrown tool. Alternatively of course importchecker is missing a lot
of real positives. :)

Regards,

Martijn