[Zope3-dev] RFC: Unification of requests and security contexts through Use

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 16 17:39:34 EST 2004

At 03:50 PM 1/16/04 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

>Yesterday, Steve and I came up with some ideas for:
>
>   - Improving the management of security contexts
>
>   - Conceptually unifying security and presentation.  This isn't something
>     we set out to do, but rather something that became apparent in our
> discussions.
>
>See:
>

>http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/UnificationOfRequestsAndSecurityContextsThroughUse
>
>In explaining this to some folks here at ZC, there was quite a bit of
>discussion
>about terminology.  The most controversal aspect of which was the
>continued use
>of "request" as a name for an actor's participation, at least in a browser
>context.
>
>I'd be interested in heraring what people think about this. :)

I'm having trouble understanding what the "use" part is for.  It seems like
it's just a collection of actors, and it's not clear how an actor is
different from a principal, except that it has a participation.  And if
that's the case, why not just have the interaction reference the principal
directly?

Hm.  I just used "interaction" instead of participation.  That may just be
because it's the term I used for this idea (or at least my perception of
this idea) in peak.security (which only does authorization and permission
declarations ATM, not authentication or enforcement).