Roadmap (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Calling persistent function)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jan 22 13:38:08 EST 2004

Casey Duncan wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:53:06 -0500
> Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:17:31AM -0500, Casey Duncan wrote:
>>
>>>If it were up to me (and it isn't) I would be inclined to punt on
>>>this until Zope 3.1.
>>
>>good lord, when will THAT be?
>>I tend to agree with Jim - SiteScripter is an important class
>>of users - because I wear that hat sometimes.
>

> What we move to Zope 3.1 will make 3.0 happen sooner. Zope 3 is larger
> than Zope X3 or Zope 3.0. I think we need to be practical with what Zope
> 3.0 is.
>
> To some degree I feel a considerable shift to a mode of "Make Zope 2
> into Zope 3" (aka Zope 2.9). I'm sure Jim will share that vision with us
> in due time. I'll save my pessimism about it until then ;^)

I'll share it now. :)

Work continues on Zope 2 and Zope 3.  We want Zope X3 to happen as soon
as possible.  This is mainly being delayed by a desire to get major restructuring/
cleanup out of the way first. This has delayed Zope X3 substantially. It's
also being delayed by some of the "Zope 3 in Zope 2" work. While
I'm frustrated by the delay, I feel good about the tradeoff's we're making.
I'm open to reducing the scope of X3 to make it happen sooner.

We need a transition strategy for getting from Zope 2 to Zope 3.  The current
thinking is that we'll gradually add Zope 3 features to Zope 2 to make the
distance between Zope 2 and Zope 3 smaller and smaller.  My hope is that we'll
reach a point, perhaps in Zope 2.9 where it will be possible to write products
that work in *both* Zope 2 and Zope 3.

There are a number of forces motivating the significant work on Zope 2.8:

- There are a number of people who are or want to use parts of Zope 3 in
   Zope 2.  Zope 2.8 will make this easier.  It will include the Zope 3
   interface package, and the Zope 2-compatable interface facade.  This will
   reduce the pain of using Zope 3 interfaces in Zope 2.  Also, by having
   new-style extension classes in Zope 2, we can *stop* supporing old-style
   extension classes in Zope 3's interface package.

- We need a single version of ZODB that will work with Zope 2 and Zope 3.
   We can't affort to build ZODB 3 and ZODB 4, and ZODB 4 isn't
   robust enough for Zope 3.

So, while we are putting a lot of effort into "Zope 3 in Zope 2"-related
projects, we are still working hard on Zope 3.