[Zope3-dev] XP Jargon?

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at awkly.org
Wed Jan 28 11:07:21 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:55:05AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
| Integration tests -- Test multiple components working together
|
|    Tres argues that our functional testing framework really is an
|    integration
|    testing framework.

And I agree with him. I think I suggested the term at least once but
it went unnoticed. I'm using the ftesting framework to test
integration of SQLObject and Zope3.

| Functional tests -- Test the external behavior of the system
|
|    Tres argues that these tests need to run the entire system,
|    including the HTTP server.
|
|    I'm willing to go along with this, but I'd be interested in other
|    people's opinions.

+1 on it. One example would be a small dav client sending requests to
zope3 and maybe have something like tcpwatch in the
middle. Humm... what about a TCPWatchHTTPServer, in the style of
PostMortemDebuggingServer? :)

| Refactoring -- Minor software changes that should not require
|    changes to tests. This might include factoring common code or
|    renaming variables.  Cosmetic changes to tests are considered ok.
|
|    (Given this definition, I have trouble understanding how refactoring
|     can be merciless.)

Well, I don't have mercy of crufty code :)

| Restructuring -- Major changes, such as architecture changes.  These
|    typically require some test changes.  Most of the work we've been
|    doing to clean up Zope 3 have been restructurings.
|
| I'd like some new jargon. I'd like to distinguish between restructurings
| that affect persistent data (zodb, rdbms, etc.) and those that don't.
| Restructurings that affect persistent data require us to:
|
| - Include icky backward compatibility code,
|
| - write database conversions, or
|
| - throw away databases (which we try *very* hard to avoid).

Uh. I prefer Geddon over Restructuring. It gives a better idea of the
level of changes expected.

--
Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at awkly.org>
http://awkly.org - dreamcatching :: making your dreams come true