AW: [Zope3-dev] Re: AW: Where should we place 3rd party packages?

Roger ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Jul 2 17:13:44 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Roger ineichen wrote:
> > Can we place a standard group container in the src/ for 3rd party
> > packages like we did at the beginning with (zopeproducts) or
> > lib/pyhton/Products in Zope2.
>
> We have come to the conclusion that this was a bad idea since it
> requires packages to
>
> a) have a certain top-level package (zopeproducts, Products, etc.)
>
> b) be located in a certain place.

Ok

> > The reason why:
> > If we write README's or some Installation instruction we don't have
> > a standard way of installing products. It whould be much
> more easiere
> > for newbies ond also for to get a overview what's installed if
> > we provide a standard way.
> > Yes this sounds like, here is somebody how is working with windows
> > and is asking for a folder for to put the packages in.
> >
> > It's also nice to provide a standard container for 3rd
> party product
> > if you distribute a package as a zip and you can extract it on the
> > root of your zope installation and you don't have to search your
> > product after extracting because it is always in the same standard
> > place.
> >
> > Or is there a reason for not doing this?
>
> I agree that it would be a good thing to have a *default*
> location for
> Python packages. But I think we already do, INSTANCE_HOME/lib/python.
> And then, Python always has /usr/lib/python/site-packages...

Ok, I really don't know what I should do.

Philipp can you help me and tell me what I should do.

My Problem is:

I help Nicolas Évrard to checkin a LDAP implementation (ldapauth).
This package has dependency to the python-ldap package.
That's a non-zope package.

Jim told me, to checkin a top-level package in the repository.
I think that's OK.

My proposal was to use a conatiner for this like we hav had
with Porducts3 or Packages3 (perhaps z3addons).

In this package you can checkin packages like the ldapauth
or bugtracker or whatevere you whant.

I don't feel good that everybody has to checkin top-level packages
with own code. Because that's the same level in the repository like
Zope3 is.

What do you mean?

Another problem is where should we checkout this package.
I think we have to write a README for the installation and
where you can download the python ldap package, ....

Should we tell the people that's up to their? I prefere
to write something like put a container called addons to the src/ folder
and checkout the package ldapauth to this folder. And now the
"important part" use the line <include package="addons.ldapauth"/>
for to include the ldapauth package.
I think thats much clearer the everything else.

This doesn't mean everybody has to do that.
Other developer can provide own top-level packages.
But if I add a top-level repository it whould be nice to have
a related part in the src where this addon packages can be placed.
Then we can provide clear documentation. And samples.

Let's say one top-level folder in the svn.zope.org repository has a
defined location in the <Zope>/src of the installation.

I'm not looking for a standard way for all developer.
I totaly agree to Derrick 'dman' Hudson's mail before.
To use own container for own (company) packages (e.g. Java).

What do you think? Are I'm totaly wrong?

Regards
Roger