[Zope3-dev] Redundant ZCML directives

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jul 8 08:56:52 EDT 2004

Hello there,

I've found that the

- browser:layer and
- browser:skin

directives are totally equivalent to

- zope:layer and
- zope:skin.

Their directive schemas are absolutely equivalent and their handlers are
even the same! This is an unnecessary redundancy and contradicts the
rule that there should only be one obvious way to do things.

Though only being used for browser views, the layer and skin
functionality is a feature of the presentation service and thus
available to all view types. So, because they are not browser specific,
I propose to remove the browser:* directives and keep the zope:* ones.
Incidentally, we're only using the browser:* ones in our ZCML code, so
these places would have to be fixed up as well.

If noone objects, I'll make that change to the trunk and X3.0 branch
tonight.

Philipp