[Zope3-dev] global error reporting service

Steve Alexander steve at z3u.com
Thu Jul 8 14:37:54 EDT 2004

Hi Stephan,

You wrote on irc:

> I propose that a global error reporting service is nonsense and
> should not exist, or if it does, it should never be used.

I don't understand this at all.

I want a global error reporting service because I want to be able to
report errors globally.

I want an error reporting service defined in zcml because I want to be
able to plug in services which do any of the following:

* Log to stderr

* Log to syslog

* Store errors in RAM to be queried TTW

* Email errors to an administrator

* Write errors out in a custom XML format

* Cause my computer to play a "Ding!" sound whenever an error occurs

* Cause my computer to play a "Ding!" sound whenever an error occurs
   on a different server

Errors occur locally to a process.  That is, they may only make sense
given the configuration of a particular Zope instance.  It makes sense
to me to have an error reporting service configured for each Zope
process.  It makes particular sense if I have different processes with
different configuration but sharing the same databases.

--
Steve Alexander