[Zope3-dev] questions about ZConfig and ZCML

Kent Tenney kent at springfed.com
Mon Jul 12 11:45:38 EDT 2004

Howdy,

I am working on some routines which use PIL to generate
images and corresponding html snippets, and
am looking at ways to define them with configuration files.
ZConfig seems like a good fit.

At some point I'd like to port this code to Zope3, which seems
all about ZCML.

It's not clear to me whether I should I be looking
towards using ZConfig or ZCML, and whether ZCML is available
outside of Zope.

It seems that ZConfig has a plays a very limited role in Zope3.
Googling on; -zconfig ZCML- turns up;
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2004-April/010667.html

  > Again, ZConfig has nothing to do with ZCML. ZConfig bootstraps the
  > server (http, ftp, etc.) and the ZODB. That's it.

Googling on; -ZCML documentation- turns up;
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.devel/5411

  The current zcml documentation is overwhelming: "The Zope Configuration
  Markup Language is an XML-based language for configuring Zope software
  and components." Ah. Very instructive. :)

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Kent