[Zope3-dev] Unauthorized message

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Mon Jul 12 12:55:24 EDT 2004

This message has three parts:

1 - The current view to IUnauthorized (i.e. the browser page used to
tell the user he or she cannot do/see something) displays context
information along with the message 'You are not authorized'.

E.g. when a user does not have permission to a view, he or she sees:

   """
   Unautorized
   -----------
   You are not authorized

   browserDefault
   """

I don't think we should display the context information as it's
meaningless to non-developers.

If there are no objections, I'll remove the context from the page template.

The context will still appear in error logs.

2 - It might be nice to improve the clarify of the error message to
something like:

   You are not authorized to view this page.

3 - Occassionally a page publication will raise this error the user
doesn't have access to a *part* of the page. E.g. the user might not
have permission to view DC metadata for an object displayed by the page.
I think we should set a policy that views handle such cases elegantly
rather than allow the Unauthoirzed exception to pass through.

I'd be interested in comments from those with experience in this area.

  -- Garrett