[Zope3-dev] Re: APIs breakage

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Tue Jul 13 09:28:05 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:03:24 -0400
Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> On Monday 12 July 2004 12:01, Garrett Smith wrote:
> > I know this doesn't happen often, but it's fustrating when it does:

> > C:/SCM/external/zope/Zope3/src/zope/app/traversing/namespace.py====
> > ===============================================================...
> > -def getResourceInContext(ob, name, request):
> > +def getResource(site, name, request):
> >
> > This public API change, IMO, needs to come with a post to the list
> > notifying us in no uncertain terms.
>
> I hope noone else is using these methods. I do *not* consider them
> public API.

This is not meant to bust anyone's chops, but how exactly does one
*know* whether something is a public api or not? In many projects (Zope2
especially) it is just lore and not formalized. Interfaces of course can
help, but there are certainly "private" classes with interfaces in Zope
3.

In a general sense in Zope 3, what does it mean for an API to be
private? Who should or shouldn't use it? The current module, package,
the framework, zope.app?

Curiously yours,

-Casey