[Zope3-dev] Re: Missing widget data and error handling

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Tue Jul 27 16:00:42 EDT 2004

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Hi, form experts!
>
> I've just discovered what I think is a small bug in the form machinery
> (zope.app.form.utility.getWidgetsData, to be precise).

> Some input widgets do not.  One particular
> instance is RadioWidget -- if none of the radio buttons is selected, the
> browser will not send that input field when submitting the form.  As a
> result, a rendered RadioWidget never displays the error message saying
> that required input is missing.

This sounds like a bug in the radio button widget -- it needs to
implement hasInput without relying on form input submitted from input
elements of type 'radio'. This problem comes up with checkbox widgets as
well.

I briefly glanced at the itemswidget.py module (I assume this is the
code you're referring to) and it does use an 'empty' marker, but may not
be doing so correctly.

Feel free to add this as a collector issue. If the original authors
don't have the time to look into this, I can take a more in depth look.

  -- Garrett