[Zope3-dev] RE: Reverting a committed change under SVN

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Jun 1 17:16:17 EDT 2004

[Tim Peters]
>> Hmm.
>>
>>     svn merge -rHEAD:<old_revision> THEFILE
>>
>> works too, and I bet that's the intended way.

[Philipp von Weitershausen]
> It indeed is the intended way.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'll add that, if I want to revert just the
most recent committed change to a file (which is by far the most frequent
case of this pattern in my experience), svn has a nice shortcut for that:

    svn merge -rHEAD:PREV THEFILE

> CVS users should get the all-in-one 'cvs update' out of their systems :).

Bingo.  That's exactly how I got off track here.

> In CVS, 'cvs update' is used for a)
> checking what's modified b) merging c) updating
>
> In subversion, that's three different commands:
>
> a) svn stat b) svn merge c) svn up

Nice summary.  So nice, I'll leave it in <wink>.