[Zope3-dev] package-includes query

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Mon Jun 7 09:50:51 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 10:19:41AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> In Zope 3, the checkout is the instance.  This is based on the assumption
> that if you have a checkout, you want, at a minimum, do an update and affect
> a site based on a checkout.  The key here is that the software location is
> the checkout. There's really no harm in having the instance location be
> different
> than the checkout. Hm, I'm talkingmyself into having a working mkinstance in
> a checkout. :)

I do not have actual use cases for that, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling
when I think about mkzopeinstance working in a checkout.

> I find Zope2's behavior, to be overly complicated. This complication arises
> from the fact that a checkout and a release are essentially identical.

Do you create releases manually, or do you have an automated script
somewhere in the SVN repository that moves all the necessary things to
their proper places for a release?

I would like to understand the reason why having two different source
layouts ("the checkout" and "the release") makes things easier.  I am
sure there are good reasons, but I haven't experienced them myself, and
it seems a bit paradoxical to me.

Marius Gedminas
--
Q:      What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?