[Zope3-dev] Using WinCVS to access demo stuff

Aaron Bodmer aaron.bodmer at appositetech.com
Tue Jun 8 01:36:58 EDT 2004

Hi all -

First, I would like to say thanks for all the work on Zope.  I'm a
refugee from the PHP world (or soon to be) and have been eagerly
watching the dev list, trying to figure out when I wanted to really dive
in and start learning Zope.    With the beta out, now seems the time.
After reading some of the tutorials, I saw mention of sample/demo zope
apps in the CVS, so I thought seeing a working demonstration  might help
me get up to speed.

I hesitate to bother y'all with something so basic, but I've never used
CVS before and can't seem to get logged into cvs.zope.org.

I'm using WinCVS  1.3 ( Win2k is my platform) and have read the
instructions on http://dev.zope.org/CVS/ReadOnlyAccess , entering the
following into the WinCVS preferences :

----------------------------------- preferences
[General]
            [authentication] pserver
            [path]  /cvs-repository
            [host address] cvs.zope.org
            [username]  anonymous
            [CVSROOT]  :pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository

[Globals]
            [x]        Checkout read-only
            [  ]        Quiet mode
            [x]        Prune empty directories
            [x]        TCP/IP Compression [ 7 ]
            [  ]        Disable splash screen
            [x]        Supply control when adding files
            [  ]        Match path case with Entries case
            [  ]        Logout automatically after [  ] minutes
            [  ]        Checkout text files with Unix LF

[CVS]
            [HOME] C:\cvs
            [  ]        Alternate CVS executable
            [x]        Show CVS console (open TTY )

[WinCVS]
            [  ]        External diff ____________
            [Default editor]  : ___Notepad_____
            [Python DLL]     ________________
            [TCL DLL]          ________________
            [  ]        Settings : __ C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs
1.3\Settings ___

[Command Dialogs]
            (all entries under 'Skip Dialogs' are unchecked )
            Key to force the dialog :  [shift]
            [x]   [Ctrl] + [enter] to confirm

  ----------------------------------- end preferences

Whenever I hit "Login" under the admin tab, I get the following output
in the output window :

cvs -z7 -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:2401:/cvs-repository

A password prompt window pops up and the webpages say anything will do,
so I've tried just hitting enter, or entering random strings of letters,
blank spaces, email addresses - none of it works.

What it replies with is :

cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.zope.org:2401 failed: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but as I said, it's my first
attempt to use CVS instead of FTP to retrieve items.  I'm not sure how
to read the error - does it mean I need a password?  Or is there a
glitch in my configuration?  Or something else?

Any suggestions ?

--Aaron

ps - Thanks !!

pps - I was going to send this to the zope-cvs list, but it looks like
its just for announcements.