[Zope3-dev] Re: Using WinCVS to access demo stuff

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Jun 8 07:36:52 EDT 2004

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Zope3 is no longer using CVS but subversion -> svn.zope.org.
>
> -aj
>
> --On Dienstag, 8. Juni 2004 0:36 Uhr -0500 Aaron Bodmer
> <aaron.bodmer at appositetech.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> First, I would like to say thanks for all the work on Zope.  I'm a
>> refugee from the PHP world (or soon to be) and have been eagerly
>> watching the dev list, trying to figure out when I wanted to really dive
>> in and start learning Zope.    With the beta out, now seems the time.
>> After reading some of the tutorials, I saw mention of sample/demo zope
>> apps in the CVS, so I thought seeing a working demonstration  might help
>> me get up to speed.
>>
>> I hesitate to bother y'all with something so basic, but I've never used
>> CVS before and can't seem to get logged into cvs.zope.org.
>>
>> I'm using WinCVS  1.3 ( Win2k is my platform) and have read the
>> instructions on http://dev.zope.org/CVS/ReadOnlyAccess , entering the
>> following into the WinCVS preferences :
>>
>> ----------------------------------- preferences
>> [General]
>>             [authentication] pserver
>>             [path]  /cvs-repository
>>             [host address] cvs.zope.org
>>             [username]  anonymous
>>             [CVSROOT]  :pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository
>>
>> [Globals]
>>             [x]        Checkout read-only
>>             [  ]        Quiet mode
>>             [x]        Prune empty directories
>>             [x]        TCP/IP Compression [ 7 ]
>>             [  ]        Disable splash screen
>>             [x]        Supply control when adding files
>>             [  ]        Match path case with Entries case
>>             [  ]        Logout automatically after [  ] minutes
>>             [  ]        Checkout text files with Unix LF
>>
>> [CVS]
>>             [HOME] C:\cvs
>>             [  ]        Alternate CVS executable
>>             [x]        Show CVS console (open TTY )
>>

>> [WinCVS]
>>             [  ]        External diff ____________
>>             [Default editor]  : ___Notepad_____
>>             [Python DLL]     ________________
>>             [TCL DLL]          ________________
>>             [  ]        Settings : __ C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs
>> 1.3\Settings ___
>>
>> [Command Dialogs]
>>             (all entries under 'Skip Dialogs' are unchecked )
>>             Key to force the dialog :  [shift]
>>             [x]   [Ctrl] + [enter] to confirm
>>
>>   ----------------------------------- end preferences
>>
>> Whenever I hit "Login" under the admin tab, I get the following output
>> in the output window :
>>
>> cvs -z7 -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository login
>> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:2401:/cvs-repository
>>
>> A password prompt window pops up and the webpages say anything will do,
>> so I've tried just hitting enter, or entering random strings of letters,
>> blank spaces, email addresses - none of it works.
>>
>> What it replies with is :
>>
>> cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.zope.org:2401 failed: No connection
> [...]

The behavior Aaron notes is due to the fact that we disable "pserver"
access on cvs.zope.org, because  the "pserver" mode of CVS has had
several recent security issues; we *may* re-enable it as soon as we get
the patched CVS deployed.

For Zope 3 or the Zope 2 head, however, Andreas is right:  those
branches have moved to Subversion;  see:

    http://dev.zope.org/Subversion

for details.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com