[Zope3-dev] Re: Specific Qs about diffs btw Zope 3 & Zope 2.x(2.7, etc)

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 25 13:45:55 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:12:06PM -0500, Eric Hielscher wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to decide which version of Zope would work best for a project
| on which I've been assigned to work.  I've personally had no contact
| with Zope before yesterday when I downloaded 2.7.1 and 3.0.0b1 to start
| playing around a bit.

My opinion is to start with Zope3.  Zope 3 is much simpler to get
started with and easier to create a well-organized application.  In
addition, it will (eventually) supersede Zope 2 so you might as well
start using the latest technology rather than start out using older
technology and later needing to migrate.

If you do use Zope2, then I recommend using the CMF framework.
However, to understand what the CMF is for and why you should use it,
read the Zope 3 developer's cookbook.  I am currently working on a
project built on Zope Corp's Z4I product.  For another small project I
choose to use Zope 3 in part so I could learn that platform.  After
doing that project I finally understood how the pieces of Z4I, which
is built on the CMF in Zope2, work together.  That really helped me
make better use of the platform and include certain features that
would have required a lot of effort if I didn't know enough to
leverage the existing components.

Since you don't have any existing Zope2 code or experience I would
start with Zope3 and go with it.

HTH,
-D

not sure about the former.