[Zope3-dev] Moving dublincore and annotation from zope.app to zope

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at tufts.edu
Sun Jun 27 10:02:03 EDT 2004

On Saturday 26 June 2004 17:39, Christian Heimes wrote:
> I think there are some other packages that at least partly useful for
> non Zope3 applications like:
>
> * zope.app.apidoc
> * zope.app.mail

I would agree with you on mail, but it depends on some other code, such as
events. It also does a lot of its work in the ZCML, so you would need to
provide non-Zope ways of doing that.

> * zope.app.introspector
> * zope.app.schema*
>
> apidoc and introspector are useful to create api documentation and
> interface introspection on the fly that could be used in other large
> projects - including Five based Zope2 products.

80% of the API doc tool code is Zope 3 App specific. This might change, once
people are interested in creating PDF or other hard-copy like documents from
the information. However, this will require at least two more rounds of
restructuring and rewriting. Until then, I think it is not suitable for the
'zope' package.

The introspector is not well maintained anymore and does not provide much
useful information that API doc will not give you. In fact, I wish it would
just use API doc for discover and be only responsible for presentation.

> zope.app.schema* packages would be *very* handy in zope2. Maybe
> Archetype's widget system could be replaced by zope.schema and schemagen
> in the future ... .oO( I have a dream :)

Mutable schemas are not even in the Zope X3.0 release, because they are not
considered stable. So I would sway away from using them even more generally.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter