[Zope3-dev] .html vs .pt

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jun 30 06:38:08 EDT 2004

Alexander Limi wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  From the Zope 3 docs[1]:
>
> template -- TextLine (optional, default=None)
>
>  The name of a page template.
>
>  Refers to a file containing a page template (must end in extension '.pt').
>

> I assume this is a documentation bug?

Yes.

 > Or is Zope 3 supposed to insist
> on  .pt endings for templates?

No, but that is the convention for file-system templates.

> I would advise against such a move if the compatibility with brain-dead
> tools such as Dreamweaver should be at a usable level.

I didn't think it was that hard to tell DW about other suffixes.

> In addition, it's very useful to have links ending in .html between
> templates, so you can prototype the templates without having Zope running.

I wonder how far you can actually take this.  I would think not far.
The template name and page names are usually different, although, of
course, they don't have to be.

> [1]
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/doc/zcml/namespaces.zope.org/browser/page.stx?rev=13888&view=auto

Stephan,

Is anyone keeping these files on disk current?

If not, perhaps we should get rid of them, since the
on-line documentation is current.

BTW, I wonder how hard it would be to create a command-line
or on-line tool that generated a single HTML pr PDF reference
manual from the on-line api docs.