[Zope3-dev] Re: Does WebDAV work on X3 Beta1?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jun 30 10:57:26 EDT 2004

Tres,

>> No. Zope2 needed this crazy thing of a WebDAV port because it couldn't
>> tell browser and dav requests apart. Zope3 identifies a WebDAV request
>> and uses different views than for browser request...
>
> Remind me how Zope3 expects to distinguish between a "normal" GET and a
> WebDAV GET?

Well, in Zope3 a DAV request is synonymous to an HTTP request. All DAV
views are views of type HTTP. Whether an incoming HTTP request is pure
HTTP (incl. DAV), XMLRPC or a browser request is decided in
HTTPPublicationRequestFactory
(Zope3/src/zope/app/publication/httpfactory.py)

So, uh, it seems GET always defaults to BrowserRequest... Hmmmm.

> BTW, it isn't Zope2's fault that WebDAV overloads GET, and that although
> the spec mandated a way do signal the "source" form, none of the clients
> (then or now) followed the spec.

A new song with the same old recurrent theme... Pity.

Philipp