[Zope3-dev] Re: More in zope.app: securitypolicy and wiki

Jeffrey P Shell jeff at bottlerocket.net
Tue Mar 2 13:58:12 EST 2004

On Mar 2, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

>>> We've decided to get rid of the app/products distinction, as it is
>>> too transitory.
>> Why is Wiki shipping in the core anyways?
>
> Who said it was?

I saw it in zope.app, and did a miraculous long jump to a conclusion.
:)

> > Whether that core be zope.app
>> or zope.products, having Wiki come along as part of the default
>> hasn't made much sense to me.
>
> OK, what made you think it was?

My inability to separate the CVS layout from what a shipping layout
might be.

>> I should stop stop-paying-attention-for-occasional-weeks.  I can't
>> keep up.
>> /me growls at ExternalEditor too
>> I thought the sudden flight of everything from app/ to products/ was
>> weird, but I did like the products/ distinction - until it stopped
>> making sense [which, of course, was when the sudden flight was
>> happening].
>
> This is rather ironic, since *you* were the one that:
>
> - objected to the "core"/"non core" distinction.

What I was objecting to was that it seemed that **everything** in
zope.app seemed to be flying to zope.products, and I couldn't
distinguish why in some cases.  I was worried that if **everything**
(or a good portion of everything) went from one to the other, that the
packaging issues were merely being shifted instead of resolved, and
that in three months time we'd be performing the same exercises all
over again - especially because there's a lot of information flying by
in this mailing list that is hard to dig out when looking for the
'why?' (and because I still have a hard time getting pertinent
information out of a Wiki).

> - suggested that we needed to pay more attention to packaging
>   issues
>
> So we decided that we would not use location in the repository
> as an indication of what was core or non-core or what would be
> included in a distribution, since both of these were transitory.

Gotcha.  I saw some of that as discussion, but not as solution.  Sorry.

> Now, we'll use package meta data *rather than* repository location
> to decide what to include in distros.
>
>> But..  This is what I get for not making time to keep up.
>
> And for not catching up before complaining. Sheesh.

There's a lot to catch up on, and details - the "This is the solution"
versus "here are my thoughts" are difficult to winnow out of the
mailing list.  Like I said - I just don't have time to keep up and I'm
probably just going to completely tune out.  I did try reading back
through the list, but the chronology was hard to follow and I had let
too much backlog build up for myself.

For the time being, I'll just keep my eye on the Zope3Newsletters.