[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/persistent/tests - test_persistent.py:1.5 persistent.txt:1.2

Chris Withers lists at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 05:23:14 EST 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> There was no decision made.  It's just an experiment I tried.  I don't
> think it's helpful to label the two approachs doctests and real tests,
> by the way.  A doctest is a real test; it just has a different set of
> baggage that tests written using unittest.

A doctest is a lump of text. A real text is a lump of python.

That's an important difference for me...

>>Personally, I think the doctests below are in danger of looking butt ugly :-S
>
> Personally, I find them easier to understand than any of the other tests
> we have.

Not documenting tests is sloppy coding, which is I think the problem you're
trying to solve with doctests... however, you can fail to document doctests just
as easily...

> This is really an issue that's up to Jim.  I'm sure discussion is
> useful, but probably not on zope-checkins.

zope3-dev okay?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk