[Zope3-dev] Re: AW: Re: edit view of a object unknown?

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Sat Mar 6 16:14:15 EST 2004

Roger ineichen wrote:

> Object(fields) and ObjectWidgetFactory working very well.
> But thake a look a the following problem;
>
> Declare a content class (AContent) and use a schema with a field Object.
> Write a edit view and declare how the Object is used. That means
> you have to define which content class is added to the defined
> Object(field) let's say you add (BChild), which is also a content class.
>
> Later, if you write a product, you can't add such a (AContent)
> class in a python method to a folder or somewhere because you
> don't have the information which class is added to the (AContent)
> class. In the sample above this whould be (BChild). But this
> relays to the configuration in the edit view. And the edit view is
> just one way of implementation. On another server perhaps you
> whould like to add (XYChild) to the content class (AContent)

Ah...now I'm understanding.

Schema provide a way of constraining (existing) objects. They don't say
much about how an object is created/initialized.

We currently rely on add forms to create and initialize objects, which
makes accessing factory/initialization logic pretty hard (which is
exactly your point :-)

I know Jim and others have done some thinking in this area -- there's
agreement that this needs some attention.

Jim, if you're lurking :-) could you fill in some of the pieces here? We
had briefly covered some of the factory/initialization issues
surrounding the add form, but I've already forgotten the details :-o

  -- Garrett