AW: [Zope3-dev] Rid the term 'product'

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Mar 19 10:30:56 EST 2004

Roger ineichen wrote:
> I agree 100% not to use "products". At least not just "products".
> But I think that's not exactly the problem. I see the problem
> in how to communicate the new "component" concept of Zope3.

I don't :)

> What do you think about "components"? I think it describes the
> new Zope3 application server concept in a good way.
> And tell's the developer how the "products" should be writen.

We've been defining 'component' as a Python object (be it class,
function or something else) in the Component Architecture. Using
'commponents' in a packaging/configurational sense implies the synonym
"part", e.g. "A car's components" == "A car's parts".

> I also think that's a hard way don't say "products", then what's
> a wiki? I think it's a product.

In a Zope2 sense, yes, it's a product. For me, a product is something
that I can sell for $$$. Nothing more.

zope.app.wiki is a package. A wiki is an application.

> I mean in the future it's important to split future products in
> components and let other people use some component of a "product" and
> write some own component like a own wiki page and use them with the
> rest of the wiki to run a customized wiki "product".

I don't see how that is important for the jargon. You can already do
this, with or without naming wiki a product or not.

> In the future I like to see good reusable components, good products
> that are really good splited in reusable components which are
> replaceable and let the developer implement their own custom part's.
> And I hoppe not to see to much monolitic products that try to
> handle all in one class.

That's the idea of Zope3 and nothing I'm trying to discuss here. :)

> Sometimes it's really hard to handle the complexity of Zope3 but
> I think, this is just how it is, to get a way for to develope
> "components" and not just "products".

You're contrasting components and products. That's like contrasting
apples and a fruit salad... :)

> I'm shure if we can handle this and show the difference, other
> developer will see what they win with "components".

I disagree.

Philipp