[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Mar 29 06:46:32 EST 2004

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>You can't abandon any talk of what this 'thing' is. What are you
>>going to call a list of such things? What if you want to tell someone
>>to install something? What if I need to install the XML thingy? A
>>rather unrealistic proposition in my mind..
>

> I've never heard of an XML Thingy :-)
>
> Could you be more specific? Seriously...if it's a an XML Parser, call it
> "XML Parser".

You can use the same rather silly argument for Python as well, but it
won't fly there either. An XML parser is delivered as a Python module or
package. Sometimes we call it a library or a framework or application;
all of those are higher level concepts and are distributed as the former.

What do you call a list of Zope extensions? What if I want to instruct
someone to install one? It seems really bizazrre to me that you can
seriously argue you shouldn't name things because you have a problem
finding a good set of names.

>>Anyway, I personally think there's nothing wrong with the words
>>'Zope Extension' and 'Zope Application', where the latter is usually
>>composed of (or at least uses) some of the former.
>

> The Zope 3 architects have gone to lengths to get away from Zope
> specific terms. I'm afraid the system is too open/flexible to make
> 'Extension' or 'Application' meaningful for everything that can be run
> within the server.

If you think Zope Extension and Zope Application doesn't cover
everything, come up with more words, but don't try to ignore the need
for names altogether.

I dispute that something like Zope application or Zope library is a Zope
specific term, just like I don't think Java application or Java library
are Java specific terms. The point is to use to commonly understood
names, but that doesn't mean a Zope library is not something different
than a normal Python library, or a C library or whatnot.

Regards,

Martijn