[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Mar 29 06:49:56 EST 2004

Brian Lloyd wrote:
>>Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>>You can't abandon any talk of what this 'thing' is. What are you
>>>going to call a list of such things? What if you want to tell someone
>>>to install something? What if I need to install the XML thingy? A
>>>rather unrealistic proposition in my mind..
>

> FWIW - for a long time I've wished that we could just stop
> expending energy on this and just call them packages as a
> general term. Yes, package is a term that has a specific
> meaning in Python - the same is true in Java, yet somehow
> people manage to grok the distinction between 'package' used
> as a general term and the concrete concept of a Java package.

Sure. package works for me, with Zope prefixed if there's a chance of
confusion. Note that in Python land package implies a rather low-level
technical concept, but in Zope land they're arguably similar. A
framework, library or app may be composed of one or more packages.

Basically my proposal has been to pick commonly understood terms
(extension, package, library, application, whatnot) and prefix them with
the word 'Zope' in case of ambiguity.

Regards,

Martijn