[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Mar 29 13:45:02 EST 2004

Brian Lloyd wrote:
>>Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>>You can't abandon any talk of what this 'thing' is. What are you
>>>going to call a list of such things? What if you want to tell someone
>>>to install something? What if I need to install the XML thingy? A
>>>rather unrealistic proposition in my mind..
>

> FWIW - for a long time I've wished that we could just stop
> expending energy on this and just call them packages as a
> general term. Yes, package is a term that has a specific
> meaning in Python - the same is true in Java, yet somehow
> people manage to grok the distinction between 'package' used
> as a general term and the concrete concept of a Java package.

I think this has a lot of merit, and am glad to see lots of +1s
in response, however, I'll note that when I suggested the term
"package" for the through-the-web equivalent of this a year or so ago,
I got lots fo objections that this would be roo confusing.

I'll also note that the Python community is trying to use the
word "distribution", but it doesn't "stick" very well. For example.
PEP 262 which describes a distribution database actually uses the word
"package" in it's title.

> As for products.zcml -- why not just call it register.zcml? That's
> what you're doing, no matter what you call the things you are
> registering.

I think "register" is too low-level (and has the wrong plurality).
All ZCML is just registering. You might as well call the top-level file
register.zcml, rather than site.zcml.

I think we are going to get rid of products.zcml in favor of a directory,
currently called "products".  Perhaps this should be renamed "package-includes".