[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Mar 30 04:53:12 EST 2004

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>Garrett Smith wrote:
>>
>>>Could you be more specific? Seriously...if it's a an XML Parser,
>>>call it "XML Parser".
>>
>>You can use the same rather silly argument for Python as well, but it
>>won't fly there either. An XML parser is delivered as a Python module
>>or package. Sometimes we call it a library or a framework or
>>application; all of those are higher level concepts and are
>>distributed as the former.
>

> The correct analogy to Python would be 'site-packages'.

They're not distributed as 'site-packages', are they? They're just
packages. With higher level names (library, framework, app) when this
applies. I therefore don't think 'site-packages' is the correct analogy.

'site-packages' is a technical very Python specific name that is not
instantly obvious. Besides, there are other ways to get Python to import
a module or package than placing it in site-packages. Zope follows this
exactly; it imports any module or package that's on the Python path.

>>I dispute that something like Zope application or Zope library is a
>>Zope specific term, just like I don't think Java application or Java
>>library are Java specific terms. The point is to use to commonly
>>understood names, but that doesn't mean a Zope library is not
>>something different than a normal Python library, or a C library or
>>whatnot.

> What do you think of simply calling them "Zope 3 Modules" or "Zope 3
> Packages", depending on what sort of Python entities they are?

Zope (3) packages sounds great! The 'Zope Modules' term will be
extremely rare. For Zope you'd almost always distribute a package;
distributing individual modules is likely almost never going to happen,
as you can't embed ZCML statements in them.

Regards,

Martijn