[Zope3-dev] Plugin?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Mar 30 08:03:47 EST 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> What about "add-on"?  This seems to be to have the right semantics,
>> is a familiar term, and doesn't conflict with "package".   I prefer it
>> over "extention", "library", or "application", because it has less
>> meaning
>> (is more general) than thise terms.
>

> I'll wager Plugin too...
>
> ...seems to be used in LOTS of contexts where similar stuff is being
> plugged in: Adobe Photoshop's Plugins spring to mind, twisted also uses
> this name for a very similar concept...

It fails the 'application' test.

This application consists of plugins for Zope 3.

This framework consists of plugins for Zope 3.

Plone consists of plugins for Zope 3.

I don't think people want to develop applications that are then
considered to be just plugins for the Zope 3 system. An application onto
itself is *not* just a bunch of plugins. Addon and extension (which I
proposed myself) fail this test too. 'package' (or Zope package)
doesn't. Distribution doesn't either.

We wouldn't be very happy if Linux applications or Windows applications
were called 'Windows/Linux addons/plugins/extensions' (or distributions
of multiple such things) either.

Zope 3 applications *use* Zope 3, they *run on* Zope 3, as opposed to
plugging into Zope 3, add functionality onto Zope 3 or extend Zope 3.
You can debate that conceptually they do this, but you can debate this
for Windows apps too. They just plug into the Windows framework.

The point is that Zope 3 is a platform and framework. Generally you
build apps onto a platform or on top of a platform; plugging into it is
an understatement.

Of course you can also plug things into Zope 3, and extend Zope 3, but
this is hardly the only envisioned use of the packages you will be able
to install into Zope 3.

Regards,

Martijn