Add-on? (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product')

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Mar 30 08:07:14 EST 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:49:27PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Sorry, I can't resist.
>>
>>What about "add-on"?  This seems to be to have the right semantics,
>>is a familiar term, and doesn't conflict with "package".   I prefer it
>>over "extention", "library", or "application", because it has less meaning
>>(is more general) than thise terms.
>

> I think I've actually used that several times in conversation with
> non-Zope developers!  as in, "I'm using the CMF and Plone add-ons
> to do blah blah blah..."
>
> Works for me. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier in
> this thread. Maybe because it sounds so non-technical.

Hm, I don't think it works for me. Saying Plone or Silva are 'add-ons'
onto Zope is like saying XChat is a X11 or Gnome add-on or something.

It depends on ones perspective, but to users Plone *is* the application
and Zope is just some foundational framework. Just like XChat is the
application and X11 is some foundational framework.

A perspective neutral term like 'package' works doesn't have that problem.

Regards,

Martijn