[Zope3-dev] Siesia: A new UI for Zope 3

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed May 5 01:44:07 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Chatlog:
> http://irclogs.espnow.net/zope3/2004.05.04.log
> http://irclogs.espnow.net/zope3/2004.05.05.log
>
> After concretely defining some terms and some struggle to find an example,
> Arnia and I started to approach a common level of communication. :-)
>
> The issue at hand, really, is that Zope's skinning mechanism sucks.

Hm, I think we still need to work on communication. :(

Aside from being inflamatory, this statement has no content.

 > The
> concept of layers is unique to Zope and is not used in any other advanced UI
> transformation technology.

This is the closest thing to a problem statement, but it is not enough.

I haven't had a chance to read much of the Siesia documentation yet.
The little I did read though made me wonder what problem this was
trying to solve.  It didn't help that the Skin tool starts with:
"I admit it, i don't know much about the way Zope 3 currently handles
skinning of an instance".

I'm glad you suggested a Zope 3 proposal, because a Zope 3 proposal
starts with a statement of the problem being solved.  That can be a
combination of a statement of specific problems encountered or benefits
that current solutions don't let is achiev.

It's pointless discussiong solutions without a much clearer statement of
what the problem is.