[Zope3-dev] Through-the-web vs file-system development

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon May 10 10:56:40 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 07:56:18AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>   We can support orderly ZEO cluster updates by updating a cluster in
>   two steps:
(snip)
>   To facilitate this sort of approach, we can provide some frameworks
>   that make managing multiple state versions easier.  (Details of that
>   framework will be provided in a separate proposal.)

Looking forward to it, this sounds very useful.

>   An alternative approach is to provide an intermediate release that
>   doesn't allow creation of new objects. This represents a temporary
>   reduction in service that might be acceptable during an upgrade cycle.
>
>   With these approaches, we can provide update support for ZEO clusters
>   without resorting to database-hosted code. This is very good news.
>
> Creating local configuration with FSB software
>
>   Recently, Steve and I have been discussing ways that we could use ZCML
>   to define multiple site configurations. This could be used to support
>   local configuration in ZCML.  This could work a number of ways.
>   For example, having defined multiple named site configurations in
>   ZCML, one could then configure a local site by simply selecting one of
>   the named configurations.

Does this mean that things which I currently configure TTW
because they're local could be broken out the filesystem?
Ooh, that would rock. I imagine this would reduce the amount of
pointy-clicky configuration I'd need to perform (and document)
when setting up a new system.

> I suggest than that, for the foreseeable future, we treat TTW
> development as a technique to be used solely for scripting and
> prototyping and that we make sure it is straightforward to create
> local configurations in ZCML and to update FSB software in ZEO
> clusters.

Sounds ok to me.  When my TTW prototypes end up being put into
production use, it usually leads to maintenance pain.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com